September 30, 2010

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.

Lucas in my mind's eye
Lucas had an annual physical exam with Dr. F today. We also needed a prescription refill for his preventative meds (heartworm and flea/tick). Lucas was okay at the vet – timid but cooperative. I had plenty of treats & praise. Unfortunately, the vet barely conducted a health examination. She listened to his heart, drew a little blood for a heartworm test and ran her hands over his back and sides. She asked me how he was doing. I responded, “Oh, he’s been doing fine.” That was pretty much it. $80.00 later I felt dissatisfied with Dr. F. I’ve always liked her for the way she’s been patient with my dogs, how well she handles them. Her staff is awesome, too – they are always on top of it.

Yet, there is something nagging me. What is it? I’m looking for something more and Dr. F is not that something more. As I continue to read about over-vaccinating and holistic care for dogs, I want to be comfortable engaging in conversations with a vet who is knowledgeable in these areas. I want to be a better advocate for my dog's health. I want to be able to ask questions and know the vet is going to respond with an open mind. I can’t ask Dr. F about grain-free dry foods, raw food diets, supplements, acupressure, acupuncture and canine arthritis etc. She’s just not that kind of vet.

For now, I want to do everything possible to keep my border collies out of the vet’s office. We’ll still need Dr. F but I clearly see that we have to find a new veterinarian. 2011 will be the year to do it. I remember The Whole Dog Journal wrote about what to do when you receive the postcard from the vet office (August 2010, Volume 13, Number 8). It is time to re-read that issue and learn from today's experience.

No comments: