September 9, 2010

Knowledge comes, but wisdom lingers.


I am not a veterinarian, canine nutritionist or veterinary technician but I know a thing or two about what makes dog food good and what makes it bad. For a year, I collected labels, receipts, product brochures & pamphlets, and notes on all my dog food, treats, supplements, and supplies. Details about this “journal” will be a separate post but I can tell you right now what I've learned. It is important to balance the information you find by comparing sources, asking questions and discussing it with others. You ultimately decide what is best for your dogs.

I’m an amateur foodie, food & cooking TV shows junkie and I love to cook (special thanks to my dad, a phenomenal chef, and my mom, an amazing home-cook). You are what you eat. That is such a cliché but it works for me. I eat anything and try to eat healthy so it made a lot of sense to learn how to feed my dogs better food, too. Lucky for me, they are happy to work as taste testers! My husband would say the dogs eat better than us.

Dog food "wars" are going on right now. The market of “natural” dog food is growing exponentially and everyone is capitalizing on it. Critics have lots of opinions; companies & manufacturers depend on consumers’ ignorance; marketers are slick and consumers are sheep. I believe we all can do better.

At the end of the day, I remember what I’m trying to accomplish: feed better dog food through my own reading & research. This applies to dog treats and supplements, too. Nearly everyday, dogzoomies and I share our experiences and that gal is the main reason why this blog exist at all. I'll also review the independent retail stores where I buy dog food. Lookin' forward to sharing because we have plenty to learn from each other.

Chez le Chien

1 comment:

Monica Marley's Mom said...

I love this post.

I recall in the past dogs were fed left-overs and scraps. Somewhere along the way the dog food industry convinced us we were hurting our dogs by feeding them "people food."

Recently the dog food industry has shown its true colors by selling dog food that will hurt our pets. While we are making better choices for ourselves we are also making more informed choices for our pets.

I look forward to reading about your dog food journal.