September 16, 2010

Yeah gonna have to move on / Before we meet again

Updates on foster BCs - Jim & Maddie

Jim 
My first foster BC, Jim, was introduced in an earlier post. One week after adoption, I called to check up on Jim and his new person, C. Right away, she had a frustrated tone in her voice because Jim was doing so well; but then the past 24 hours were rough. C had to go somewhere so she left him at home roaming free, not crated. Jim damaged the plantation shutters and he peed/pooped inside the house. C was not happy. She was quick to call it separation anxiety. I thought to myself: Don't set him up to fail.

I recommended to C (again) that crating a new dog until it's earned its privileges and place is ideal for BCs. Make the crate a positive, happy thing! I suspect the adjustment from changing homes was "too much too soon" and Jim is more or less confused rather than having separation anxiety.  I gently reminded C that Jim will benefit from leadership and direction rather than too much softness and affection in the beginning. In hindsight, Jim settled down in my home more quickly than at C's home. It was probably a combination of routines, consistency, exercise and being part of a pack with Josey & Lucas.

Another week has gone by since the adoption and I dropped C a quick email message. Hope she responds with good news about Jim!  

Jim snoozing at the park. Missin' you silly.
Maddie
Maddie is a firecracker. Super super super playful with Lucas. They play so well together even Josey joins in the fun too. If Maddie's not at my feet, she's pulling toys from the basket and tossing them around, entertaining herself. Maddie is doing all the things young BCs do - chew, pee, counter surf, guard, get mouthy - but she's been easy to train, manage so far. She's smart as a whip really. Whoever ends up with her is going to have their hands full! The regional foster coordinator spoke with the guy who is interested in adopting Maddie and so far so good. Hasn't even been 2 weeks yet with this sweet girl.
Are you on the way to your Forever Home this weekend?
Thoughts on fostering
I've always wanted to try fostering dogs, especially border collies. There were always a hundred excuses: Do I have the time? Do I have the resources? What if the dog doesn't get along with my BCs? I'm not a trainer. I don't want a dog peeing, pooping inside my house. It's too hard, demanding.

In no way am I a perfect foster home. Far from it. Yet I know that I can do this.  Sure, I'm tired after walking my BCs but I still go out again to solo walk the foster BC. It's good for bonding and training. The attachment is strong between the foster BCs and I so far; other people see it all the time.

I do my best to hold it together (**sigh**).

These dogs come into your life as quickly as they move out of it. It is what it is.

No comments: